Help with using COM save data!

Thread: Help with using COM save data!

Charles Guest

Default Help with using COM save data!

Hello, I&#039;m getting the an error message(listed below) when using COM with astored procedure to save data to a database. Further below are the codes that I&#039;ve witten, can you please take a look and tell me how I can fix this problem. The error occurs at line: Set var2 = var1.InsertOrder(strAccountType)<BR><BR>Thanks<BR> <BR>Error Type:<BR>Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01A8)<BR>Object required: &#039;[undefined]&#039;<BR>/StockNet/snOrderSubmittedMsgCOM.asp, line 49<BR><BR>ASP<BR>***<BR>&#060;%@ Language=VBScript %&#062;<BR>&#060;HTML&#062;<BR>&#060;HEAD&#062;<BR >&#060;META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0"&#062;<BR>&#060;LINK REL=STYLESHEET TYPE="text/css" HREF="Styles/SNStyles.css"&#062;<BR>&#060;/HEAD&#062;<BR>&#060;BODY bgcolor="#fffff6"&#062;<BR>&#060;center&#062;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&#060;i mg src="images/StockNetTitle.gif"&#062;&#060;/center&#062;<BR>&#060;!--#include file=""--&#062;<BR>&#060;!--#include file=""--&#062; <BR>&#060;%<BR> &#039;Declare variables<BR> Dim objConnection<BR> Dim objCommand<BR> Dim objParam<BR> Dim strAccountType<BR> &#039; Call a component and pass variables to its method<BR> Dim var1, var2<BR> Set var1 = CreateObject("SNCls3.InsertSNOrder")<BR> strAccountType = "Market"<BR> Set var2 = var1.InsertOrder(strAccountType) <BR>%&#062; <BR><BR>COM<BR>***<BR> Public Function InsertOrder(strAccountType)<BR> &#039; Open Connection<BR> Dim connection As New ADODB.connection<BR> Dim recordset As New ADODB.recordset<BR> Dim objCommand As New ADODB.Command<BR> Dim objParam As New ADODB.Parameter<BR> test = strAccountType<BR> With connection<BR> .ConnectionString = DB_CONNECTIONSTRING<BR> .Open<BR> End With<BR> <BR> &#039;Open Command Object<BR> Set objCommand = New ADODB.Command<BR> With objCommand<BR> .CommandText = "sp_EnterNewOrderCOM"<BR> .CommandType = adCmdStoredProc<BR> .ActiveConnection = connection<BR> End With<BR>Set objParam = objCommand.CreateParameter("@AccountType", adChar, adParamInput, 10, strAccountType)<BR>objCommand.Parameters.Append objParam<BR>Set objParam = objCommand.CreateParameter("@RecordID", adInteger, adParamOutput)<BR>objCommand.Parameters.Append objParam<BR>objCommand.Execute<BR>End Function<BR><BR>Stored Procedure<BR>****************<BR><BR>CREATE PROCEDURE sp_EnterNewOrderCOM<BR>@AccountType char(10),<BR>@RecordID int OUTPUT<BR> AS<BR><BR><BR>DECLARE @Return int,<BR> @TranCnt tinyint<BR><BR><BR> <BR>SELECT @TranCnt = @@TRANCOUNT<BR> <BR>IF @TranCnt = 0<BR>BEGIN TRAN -- Only begin tran when trancount is 0 to avoid rolling back to wrong tran at nested tran<BR><BR>SELECT @RecordID =ISNULL(MAX(RecordID)+1,1)<BR>FROM SNOrderEntry (UPDLOCK)<BR>SET IDENTITY_INSERT SNOrderEntry ON<BR>INSERT SNOrderEntry(<BR>RecordID,<BR>AccountType<BR>)<BR> VALUES(<BR>@RecordID,<BR>@AccountType<BR>)<BR><BR> SELECT @Return = @@ERROR<BR>IF @TranCnt = 0<BR> IF @Return = 0 COMMIT TRAN<BR> ELSE ROLLBACK TRAN<BR><BR>RETURN @Return<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR ><BR>

<eop> Guest

Default Set var2 = var1.InsertSNOrder(strAccountType)

Charles Guest

Default RE: Set var2 = var1.InsertSNOrder(strAccountType)

The class name is InsertSNOrder and the method name is InsertOrder, your suggestion did not work, any other ideas?<BR><BR>Thanks for your reply.

Sandy Breon Guest

Default define explicit return from InsertOrder

and set the return value from within InsertOrder in your COM method call.<BR><BR>For example:<BR><BR>Public Function InsertOrder(ByVal strAccountType as String) AS BOOLEAN<BR><BR>&#039;code goes here<BR> InsertOrder = True<BR>End Function<BR><BR><BR>Then in VB Script<BR><BR>var2 = var1.InsertOrder(strAccountType)<BR>If var2 = true Then<BR> &#039;do something<BR>Else<BR> &#039;do something<BR>End If<BR><BR><BR>

Charles Guest

Default RE: define explicit return from InsertOrder

Hello,<BR><BR>I tried your suggestion and although I don&#039;t get an error message,the data does not save to the table. Can you give me some more help on how to fix this problem.

Sandy Breon Guest

Default Is your COM object transactional

If your COM object is transactional, you may have to commit the transaction within the same objectcontext.<BR><BR>If your COM object is NOT transactional, I&#039;m not sure what would cause the data not to save????? Are you handling errors?