Inserting Images

Thread: Inserting Images

Default Inserting Images

Hi everyone ~)<BR><BR>Can anyone help me with a good reference guide to inserting files into databases (sql), such as word documents, excel, images, movies etc?<BR>Are there any good simple tutorials out there? I have been searching for days now with no such luck.<BR><BR>(: Thanks :)

Default RE: Inserting Images

Every article I have read advises AGAINST inserting binary files in databases (images/documents etc) the easier and quicker solution is to store a path reference to the files in your database and make sure those files are there !

Default BUT

You see, the problems are:<BR>i)I have several hundred users who upload frequently, and therefore they encounter errors when uploading a file with the same name. (using upload scripts) <BR>ii)I don&#039;t have time to do directory maintenance, because each time the user deletes the record the file is then not deleted.<BR><BR>If the file were stored in the same record, it would be so much easier for everyone. Get what I mean?<BR><BR>Thanks anyway!!<BR>L

maybe Guest

Default RE: BUT

I don&#039;t know if this will help or not. I agree with last post every article strongly advises against storing files etc directly in database. Makes database slow and ugly.<BR>Don&#039;t no how to help with your first listed problem but your second problem you should be able to write a function that deletes the file from the designated path in the database.<BR>Good luck!