Insert *

Thread: Insert *

Steevo Guest

Default Insert *

I am trying to add a record to a visual Foxpro database. The table has over 50 fields. I am wondering if there is a way to insert this record without specifying values for all the fields. Can this be done with wildcards, or some other method? Any insight is greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Steevo<BR>

Medieval Dude Guest

Default RE: Insert *

What if you placed NULL for the values?

No problem (for a SQL database, anyway) - the INSERT statement allows you to specify a list of field which you are inserting values into, eg:<BR><BR>INSERT INTO my_large_table (field1, field2, field25; field50)<BR>VALUES (value1, value2, value25, value50)<BR><BR>Fields which are not in the list will be set to their default values, or NULL if there is no default.<BR><BR>I&#039;ve never used FoxPro, so I&#039;ve no idea whether this is appropriate.<BR><BR>Dunc

Steevo Guest

I have tried your suggestions. I think my problem is that most of the fields are required, as this table is part of an SBT accounting package. I think I need to deal with every field in some way... I was hoping I could do this with wildcards or some other &#039;blanket&#039; method.. any further thoughts?