Another question for Bill Wilkinson

Thread: Another question for Bill Wilkinson

Innana Guest

Default Another question for Bill Wilkinson

Thanks for the help with my last question on identifying and replacing characters before storing in the database. I found your advice about putting the char() into a variable to prevent heavy function usage especially interesting and have therefore adjusted my code. <BR><BR>I wonder if you could comment on something that this issue brought to mind:<BR>I know that one of the differences between calling a SUBroutine and a FUNCTIONroutine is that the FUNCTIONroutine returns a value (hope thats right :)) but if you can achieve the desired result by using either which is it best to use?<BR><BR>I am asking because with the character replacement routine we were talking of earlier it seems to work the same with using...<BR><BR> charactertrap strNewsItem to a SUBroutine<BR>or<BR> charactertrap (strNewsItem) to a FUNCTIONroutine<BR><BR>so I was wondering if there is a usage or other reason to use one or the other.

Default A 'probably' answer...

If you use a SUB, then if you want the string to come *back* to you properly altered, you must pass it BYREF.<BR><BR>That is:<BR><BR>Sub ChangeQuotes( ByRef str )<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; str = Replace( str, SQT, DBLSQT )<BR>End Sub<BR><BR>With a function, you would normally pass the string ByVal (the default:<BR><BR>Function ChangeQuotes( ByVal str )<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; ChangeQuotes = Replace( str, SQT, DBLSQT )<BR>End Function<BR><BR>Which is more efficient, IN THIS CASE? I&#039;d say the Sub, but by a very small margin.