NT Athentication via ASP

Thread: NT Athentication via ASP

George (aka Shadow) Guest

Default NT Athentication via ASP

Is there a way to authenticate a user, without using the "Website Authentication Settings"? What I'm trying to do is use domain or local users and groups. I what a user to be authenticated directly from the site. And also get info on users like groups that they belong to or a complete list. I would then determine what level of functionality they get on the site (I have pages that all users can view, but depending the group they belong to it will function differently) by the groups that they belong to.

Default RE: NT Athentication via ASP

&nbsp;<BR>I assume that you have users accessing an intranet over a LAN?<BR><BR>You need to look into ADSI then you can start to verify users are in certain groups and build a page server side accordingly.<BR><BR>for example, checking if user is in a certain group...<BR><BR><BR>Dim LU, ADsGroup, Member, UserInGroup<BR><BR>LU = Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")<BR>If InStr(LU,"\") then<BR> LU = UCase(Right(LU, Len(LU) - InStr(LU,"\")))<BR>end if<BR><BR>UserInGroup = false<BR>Set ADsGroup = GetObject("WinNT://DOMAIN_NAME/GROUP NAME,Group")<BR>For Each Member in ADsGroup.members<BR> if UCase(Member.name) = LU Then<BR> UserInGroup = true<BR> end if<BR>next<BR><BR><BR><BR>I have used a mixture of this and NT Access control lists to achieve what I am after. For example some pages I want everyone to view, but documents linked to from that page I only want certain users to be able to download. TO achieve that I have setup 2 document directories with different access rights - one which contains stuff anyone can download and the other for a restricted user group. If you try and download something to which you do not have access you just get the default authentication dialogue pop up.<BR><BR>hope that helps!<BR>

Ben Love Guest

Default RE: NT Athentication via ASP

Maybe you should checkout ASPUser from Persits. It&#039;s got some great little functions that should do what you need. It also has some nasty &#039;gotchas&#039;, but nothing you can&#039;t get around ;) Just don&#039;t bother their tech support too much.<BR><BR>I&#039;m using it internally on our Intranet site to valid users via a HTML form, which I find much cleaner than IIS Authentication. Works a treat.