High users/small window

Thread: High users/small window

Default High users/small window

I manage a set of online courses. These courses ar taken by hundreds of thousands of users in some cases. Potentially I could crash the server. My ISP says it will take 750 concurrnt users to crash it. While I realize that is a lot, there are small windows on the larger courses where this could happen.<BR><BR>The current solution I am using will stop users from entering the site when there are more than 400 concurrent users. I am doing this with ASP code. This seems to me the most logical and economic solution since the potential window of high users is so small.<BR><BR>Does anyone have experience in this area?<BR>Have you crashed a server due to heavy traffic before?<BR><BR>This is my sysytem<BR><BR>Intel PIII 800<BR>256 MB SDRAM<BR>1 x 18 GB UW-SCSI<BR>100 GB Data Transfer per month<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR><BR>Stanley<BR><BR><BR ><BR>

Roker Guest

Default RE: High users/small window

I think 400 it&#039;s the "Number".. i dont have much experience on this ... but what i think you sould not stop the users in ASP code.<BR>IIS have a option in Properties that you can specify how much users can access the site (with ASP I think U use a Aplication variable and etc... ) ... when come to the limit, then the page 403.9 appears... and then you can edit this error message... try later, or something... that way you use less processing... just think, you want stop on 400, but if 1000 users try to view the page at same time (impossible, but who knows... )<BR>hope this was useful.. see ya

Default RE: High users/small window

stanley:<BR><BR>can you use Microsoft Web Application Stress Tool to stress<BR>test your application.<BR><BR>Setting performance counters on a web app on various parameters will help to get a better understanding of the bottlenecks in your application.<BR><BR>

Michael Zassi Guest

Default RE: High user load- try static pages

If you use static pages, or make your pages more efficient by pre-rendering them and not hitting the database for every page view, you will get FAR better scalability. Make your pages so they don&#039;t load your web server (or crash it), and your ISP won&#039;t complain or insist you upgrade.<BR><BR>APGen (www.webgecko.com/products/apgen) can be used for pre-rendering your pages. They also show performance data (http://www.webgecko.com/products/apgen/vcapgen.htm) that shows that pages can be made far more efficient by pre-rendering them. For example, an ASP page that could only handle 75 requests/second (which is faster than most ASP pages) can handle &#062;1500 requests second when the page is pre-rendered. Our experience shows that performance gains have been at least that.