asp session/load balancing/aol

Thread: asp session/load balancing/aol

hjm Guest

Default asp session/load balancing/aol

I am having difficulty maintaining session variables with AOL. <BR><BR>From what I have read I believe this is because of our load balancing and AOL&#039;s use of a proxy server making the user appear to becoming from a new ip so the user is not routed back to the web server holding the users original session variables. <BR><BR>Does anyone know where I might be able to find more information on this or have a possible solution?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>hjm

Default RE: asp session/load balancing/aol

Load balancing and Sessions are a dangerous mix. I presume from your description that your load balancing software is trying to to "sticky" sessions based on the client&#039;s IP address - as you surmise this will not work with AOL clients (or anyone else in a multi-proxy system).<BR><BR>The industrial-strenght solution to this problem is fairly simple. Instead of using the intrinsic Session object, store all session data in a backend database accessible to all the servers in your farm. Then give each client a session key stored in a cookie. Whichever server processes the request it can then recover the session data using the session key. There will be a performance hit, but it will work. You might want to wrap the session functionality into a COM object for ease of use.<BR><BR>Dunc