IIS server performance speed

Thread: IIS server performance speed

Cindy Guest

Default IIS server performance speed

Our company&#039;s website has a few include files as ASP on every page - all of our pages are in ASP. Our server keeps down or the speed is very slow frequently.<BR>So we tried to change all included ASP file to HTML format, but somebody told us that the server performance will slow down even more because it has to parse ASP and HTML formats separately. <BR>So we didn&#039;t change them, but recently I read an article from Microsoft website saying;<BR><BR>An IIS server can handle a finite number of ASP requests/second, because each request needs to be processed to see if there is code that needs to be run. To increase your connections/second on your servers, make sure all pages that do not need to run scripting are kept as HTML pages. HTML does not have to be processed and will not contribute to a blocking state on your servers. <BR><BR>Now I wonder who is right. Should I change all our included files in HTML format to improve the speed?<BR>BTW, the included files are for top/bottom of the each page or style sheet - very simple page.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your help!<BR>

RDM Guest

Default Doubtful...

...that the include files are your problem. I&#039;ll throw out a few items some of which you&#039;ve probably already considered...<BR><BR>If the HTML pages have .htm extensions, you should be ok. If not, it&#039;s not a huge performance hit but could be a small improvement.<BR><BR>In your normal pages, how often to you go back and forth between parsing ASP and spitting out HTML? Like such:<BR><BR>&#060;TR&#062;&#060;TD&#062;&#060;%=m sVar%&#062;&#060;/td&#062;&#060;/tr&#062;<BR><BR>If it&#039;s more than a couple of times a page, adjust your code to reduce the frequency of this. This is a major performance hit.<BR><BR>If you have DB interaction, are you creating your ADO objects, performing the DB task, closing the connection, and then destroying the object immediately??? Even if you process multiple DB tasks within the page, do this! While it may sound like this will take more resources, IIS will perform much faster if you do. Test and time it. You may be surprised. Also check to make sure that the registry settings for IIS connection pooling are set properly. <BR><BR>If you are using Session objects to hold ADO connection while the entire page loads or for the entire length of the session. Stop this practice.<BR><BR>I&#039;ll think for a moment and see if I can come up with anything else.