A Puzzler

Thread: A Puzzler

Default A Puzzler

Okay, this one has me stumped... I&#039;m writing a message board for my website, and things have been running smoothly for the most part. I have a Perl message board (it&#039;s slow, that&#039;s why I&#039;m changing), and I like the way it handles replies - but for the life of me I can&#039;t think of a clever way to duplicate its behavior.<BR><BR>One note about my board, it&#039;s storing all the messages in rows in a database.<BR><BR>Anyway, on my current board, if you reply to a message, in the text box you&#039;re filling out it throws ":" in front of all the lines of the previous message. So it&#039;s like...<BR><BR>********<BR><BR>: Here is some text<BR>: from the original message.<BR><BR>And here&#039;s my reply...<BR><BR>********<BR><BR>Now, if you reply to a reply, it only includes the previous message. So it&#039;s NOT like...<BR><BR>********<BR><BR>:: Here is some text<BR>:: from the original message.<BR><BR>: And here&#039;s my reply...<BR><BR>And here&#039;s the next reply...<BR><BR>********<BR><BR>I want to duplicate that sort of behavior, but can&#039;t think of how to only grab the text of the parent message (and not the parent of the parent, etc.).<BR><BR>I hope this is making sense. I&#039;m not sure it makes total sense to me, and I&#039;m the one posting it... ;P

Default It doesn't make sense

I&#039;m confused. Are you trying to write a SQL query that gets this info back, or how to display it with code from ASP or how to lay it out in HTML or or or or or

Shafe Guest

Default A Puzzler?

Well, I guess you could always store a reserved tag in between the messages (this could also contain a datestamp). This reserved tag does not have to be displayed in the message even though it is stored with the message. For example:<BR><BR>This is the most recent message<BR>{&#124MESSAGESEPARATOR\04/13/01 09:31:00 AM//&#124}<BR>This is the second message<BR>It&#039;s just a bit longer...<BR>{&#124MESSAGESEPARATOR\04/13/01 09:20:12 AM//&#124}<BR>etc. etc. etc.<BR>{&#124MESSAGESEPARATOR\04/12/01 11:46:19 PM//&#124}<BR><BR>

Brutus Guest

Default RE: A Puzzler?

Just a thought but do you have to store the : at all? You could grab a chunk of the string at a time, place the : in the front, print it out, move to the next line and repeat till your out of chunks. It could be a pin to formate that stff depending on the fonrt you use but it might work