limiting recordset

Thread: limiting recordset

coopetj Guest

Default limiting recordset

I know you can use the recordcount property to limit the number of returned recordes but how and where would you use it?<BR><BR>After you create the RS or before?

Default RE: limiting recordset

What you are looking for is the maxrecords property. Set it before you execute the query.

fred Guest

If you are using Access or MS SQL 7.0 you can use the TOP funciton in your SQL-statement to speed it up. See example below.<BR>Just specify the number you need...<BR><BR>rs.Open "SELECT TOP 5 prodID FROM Products",db<BR><BR>Happy programming!

Coopetj Guest

Thanks guys.<BR><BR>Im not using SQL but that is good to know. Eventually my cheapskate management will bring up some SQL servers.<BR><BR>I hope they dont frequent this

cooetj Guest

Default ISNT WORKING>>

This is my code:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>Option Explicit<BR><BR>dim conn, DSNtemp, RS, StrQ, dtPost, Caption, Recipient, Content, Author<BR><BR>&#039;Connect to DB<BR>set conn = server.createobject("adodb.connection")<BR>DSNtemp ="DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; "<BR>DSNtemp=dsntemp & "DBQ=" & server.mappath("/dbWeb/dbNews.mdb")<BR>conn.Open DSNtemp<BR><BR>&#039;Create Recordset Obj<BR>set RS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR><BR>&#03 9;Set the maximum number of records to 1 to return the most recent post<BR>RS.maxrecords = 1<BR><BR>&#039;Build SQL String<BR>strQ = "select * from tblNews where recipient = &#039;allstaff&#039; order by dtPost Desc"<BR><BR><BR>&#039;Open recordset and run assigned SQL Query<BR>Set Rs = conn.Execute(strQ)<BR><BR><BR>%&#062;