Oracle ODBC Connection With MS Driver

Thread: Oracle ODBC Connection With MS Driver

Default Oracle ODBC Connection With MS Driver

Does anyone know how to connect to an oracle DB using the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle Driver.<BR><BR>I do not have a DSN, So a DSNless connection needs to be made if possible.<BR><BR>Regards.

James W. Guest

Default RE: Oracle ODBC Connection With MS Driver

Follow this link:<BR><BR><BR>The page shows many,many different kinds of dsn & dsn-less connections defined.

Markkk Guest

Default SQL*Net Required

Oracle&#039;s SQL*Net must be installed on the web server to connect to Oracle databases.<BR><BR>Once installed, you must ake sure that the Oracle database sever is properly identified in the "tnsnames.ora" file. Use the SQL*Net configuration routine to revise the "tnsnames.ora" file.<BR><BR>You can setup a System DSN using "Microsoft&#039;s ODBC Driver for Oracle", and make ADO connections as with any other database.<BR><BR>Not sure how to make a DSNless Oracle Connection using ODBC.<BR><BR>However, you can make a DSNless Oracle connection using an OLE DB Provider, rather than an ODBC Driver.<BR><BR>e.g.<BR>Set objConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>objConn ection.Open "PROVIDER=MSDAORA; Data Source=tnsname; User ID=YourID; Password=YourPassword;"<BR><BR>In the above example, I use "Microsoft&#039;s OLE DB Provider for Oracle (MSDAORA)". It has some limitations; largely it forces the use of a Forward Only Cursor; hence, you can not do things like RecordCounts that require a Static Cursor.<BR><BR>Oracle may have their own OLE Provider (not sure).<BR><BR>If you use ODBC, stick with the "Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle" (V2.573+); Oracle&#039;s ODBC Driver will likely crash your asp application because it serializes all activities at the connection level.<BR><BR>I hope this helps.<BR>

Markkk Guest

Default DSN-less using ODBC works nicely!

Good Link James W.!<BR><BR>DSN-less Oracle Connection using works!<BR><BR>oConn.Open "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};" & ";" & "Uid=demo;" & "Pwd=demo;"<BR><BR>

Matiur Rahman Guest

Default RE: Oracle DSL_LESS Connection I am using

"Provider=msdaora;Data Source=HostString;" & _<BR> "User ID=UserId;Password=NNMN;"<BR><BR>Don&#039;t use "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle", it gives me error<BR>