Maybe Session Variables Aren't So Bad!

Thread: Maybe Session Variables Aren't So Bad!

J. Paul Schmidt Guest

Default Maybe Session Variables Aren't So Bad!

Assuming 10 session variables for each of 100 simultaneous users at 100 bytes per session variable only adds up to 100,000 bytes (i.e. 100 KB).<BR><BR>And a server might easily have over 128 MB of RAM.<BR><BR>So in my opinion perhaps people don&#039;t need to be QUITE so afraid to use some session variables especially for sites that are never expected to have high traffic.<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>-Paul<BR><BR>J. Paul Schmidt, MBA<BR>Databases on the Web<BR><BR>

Default I agree.... to an extent

Yes, this is all true and good... responsible use of session variables is nothing to worry about IF you also understand the fact that you will be requiring your users to support cookies for session variables to work properly ( see ).<BR><BR>When people IRRESPONSIBLY use session variables they can have problems. Storing connection or Recordset objects in the session are big mistakes. Setting the session timeout to some insanely high value is a big mistake, even for a mimimal amount of session variable usage.<BR><BR>Anywho, here are some good resources for session variable information:<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>Happy Programming!

Default RE: Maybe Session Variables Aren't So Bad!

I think this subject has been beat to death, and there aren&#039;t many fence sitters anymore.<BR><BR>The only thing I would suggest is to use cookies over session vars, since if you turn session state off, you&#039;ll run a bit quicker. So unless you&#039;re putting objects or arrays in session vars, cookies can do everything else.<BR><BR>&#062;&#062;And a server might easily have over 128 MB of RAM.<BR><BR>Heh. Our servers operate on 2GB of ram. Makes the use of session memory even less significant ;)