Access vs sql server

Thread: Access vs sql server

Default Access vs sql server

hi there,<BR><BR>i wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice.<BR>i&#039;m creating a site (NOT e-commerce!) that will have 100&#039;s of users per day. On busy days, there will be 1000&#039;s of users per day.<BR>Most pages will communicate with the DB to some extent. A lot of it will be writing the contents of a form to the DB, but there will be some reading of data.<BR><BR>I am unsure of wether to go for access or sql server! Can anyone give me a bit of a pointer? I&#039;ve mainly used access on smallish sites - but i&#039;m hoping someone out there will have had experience with both, and can tell me wether its worth going for sqlserver.<BR><BR>Also, with sqlserver, whats the difference between a 1cpu license, and a 5 client license? The server does not have sqlserver installed.<BR><BR>if anyone can help, i&#039;ll buy them a pint...virtually :)<BR><BR><BR>thanks,<BR><BR>iez

Eddie Campbell Guest

Default Hundreds and thousands

of users sounds like far too much for Access to handle reliably and with any reasonably speed.<BR><BR>SQL Server would certainly be able to cope with the load, and would be a better option if future growth is expected.<BR><BR>I don&#039;t know much about the licencing costs of SQL Server, but if cost is a problem, you could try looking at MySql which is free :) Have a look at for more info.

mark Guest

Default RE: Hundreds and thousands

SQL Server 7 Internet Connector is required to use it on the Internet. I think it cost about £3000.<BR><BR>Mark