Thread: SQL

ASHSIH Guest

Default SQL

Default Read a book...

...because in order for somebody to answer your question we&#039;d have to *WRITE* a book.<BR><BR>That is such a VERY VERY general question that it could easily take 1000 pages to answer it.<BR><BR>Incidentally, there is no such thing as a "SQL Database". SQL is a language. *SQL Server* is a database product; I presume that is what you were asking about.<BR><BR>You could *start* by looking at http://www.LearnASP.com and the "beginner&#039;s lessons" and the "database lessons". But those are really just examples, not lessons. And if you can&#039;t read ASP code yet, they won&#039;t help you a lot.<BR><BR>So...<BR><BR>Read a *GOOD* book.<BR><BR>

Nino Guest

Default RE: Read a book...

Hi,<BR><BR>I wonder if you could suggest a *GOOD* book!<BR><BR>I should convert my Access files into SQL and, consequently, the connection code used in my ASP.<BR><BR>I&#039;ve tried to read some books and I&#039;ve visited a few sites, but I still can&#039;t understand how to change a code like this:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>connectString = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & _<BR> server.MapPath("fpdb
    isposte.mdb")<BR><BR>Set adoConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>Set adoRecordset = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR><BR>adoC onnection.Open connectString<BR><BR>...<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>Finally , the "papers" I&#039;ve read - not a lot, and perhaps not very good - always explain how to set an SQL server on own computer, but how can I connect to a database on a remote computer?<BR><BR>Yes! I&#039;m a "quasi"-beginner!<BR><BR>Can you, or someone else, help me?<BR><BR>I&#039;ve tried to explore this site, but I haven&#039;t succeeded... :(<BR><BR>Thanks a lot.<BR><BR>Nino

Default Connect to a SQL Server

try going to this page. It show a cool trick to help out with connection strings<BR>It helped me connect to my database. It is basically a wizard. <BR>good luck<BR>http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/070699-1.shtml

Default Remote DB servers..

Easiest and best way is to use a DSN and then use the ODBC connection wizard to help you make the connection to the remote DB.<BR><BR>Another big advantage of this: If the DB ever has to be moved, you just change the DSN and *none* of your ASP code must change.<BR><BR>