Convert Dec to Hex (weird)

Thread: Convert Dec to Hex (weird)

jsappdev Guest

Default Convert Dec to Hex (weird)

I am trying to use jscript to convert error codes to a output string. I need to convert dec (ex. -2147192265) to a hex (80047237). I have tried using x.toString(16);, but it will not convert using the neg (-). Any suggestions?

Default RE: Convert Dec to Hex (weird)

just add the - later (use Math.abs() to get rid of it before converting, and concatenate it back on afterwards).<BR><BR>j

jsappdev Guest

I need that negative sign (-) to be converted with the number. Let me give more information. When I convert -2147192265 with vbscript I get 80047237 but with jscript (using x.toString(16) which is supposed to convert dec to hec) I get -7FFB8DC9. I need the vbscript number. How do I get that?

Dan Evans Guest

Not a solution, but I think your problem is that your number is smaller than -2 ^ 31 so it&#039;s looping back to the other end of the range (2 ^ 31 - 1).<BR><BR>I would imagine that the toString function only takes 31 bits and a sign bit but I don&#039;t know for sure.<BR><BR>Is there no way you could make the number smaller?<BR><BR>-Dan Evans

jsappdev Guest

No, I don&#039;t think I can make it smaller. The error is generated by a COM object which was developed and now frozen code.

Dan Evans Guest

In that case, this may be one of those occurences when you need both VBScript and JavaScript in your code.<BR><BR>-Dan Evans

jsappdev Guest

For your information, I was reading an article in the MSDN library where a developer tried to do this exact thing but could not. There is no way to convert keeping the negative. It is a bug in jscript toString(16)function.

Dan Evans Guest

Default Have a little faith :o)

The reason it chucks out such weird results is because the negative hex string is always 8 characters long. The 1st character is the negative value, the rest being positive.<BR><BR>The easiest way to go from -ve decimal to hex is to work out what the equivalent +ve decimal would be (If you assumed the 1st character of the hex was +ve), then just perform .toString(16) on that. This is far easier than it sounds - Just minus the number from 2^32 (The largest you can go).<BR><BR>If that made no sense at all, I&#039;ve posted the code below. It should work as far as I can see and it works on all the test cases I&#039;ve done but don&#039;t blame me if your computer explodes when you use it:<BR><BR>var n = -2147192265;<BR>if (n.toString().charAt(0) == "-") n = Math.pow(2, 32) - Math.abs(n);<BR>alert(n.toString(16).toUpperCase() ); //Displays "80047237"<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR><BR>-Dan Evans

Dan Evans Guest

Default Or even better

Even more efficient:<BR><BR>alert((n &#060; 0? 4294967296 + n: n).toString(16).toUpperCase()); <BR><BR>-Dan Evans<BR>