Grabbing the first character in a string.

Thread: Grabbing the first character in a string.

Ken Lewis Guest

Default Grabbing the first character in a string.

hiya! I am wanting to build up a string to reference an image by pulling the data out of my database.<BR><BR>I basically want first initial from the fname column, and last name from the lname column and then i&#039;ll add the .jpg thus i&#039;ll end up with a variable that would contain-<BR><BR>klewis.jpg<BR><BR>How should I go about getting the first initial out of the fname column?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for the help.

BAM Guest

Default strInitial = left(fname,1)

bmasters Guest

Default Not Advanced.....

Ken Lewis Guest

Default RE: strInitial = left(fname,1)

Thank you!

Ken Lewis Guest

Default RE: Not Advanced.....

Thanks for nothing.

Default You dont have to be rude buddy..

...this really wasnt advanced question at all, its just basic and u should be posting it in the ASP forum, moreover not a lot of people come here, so it would affect you, you might not get the answer in time, get it?

Ken Lewis Guest

Default all apologies...

yes, sorry...but the posting guidlines said that questions should be from people who have a moderate amount of experince, but don&#039;t know the answer off the top of their head.<BR><BR>I guess it&#039;s a pretty standard question, sorry...but I din&#039;t know it and thought I was in the &#039;moderate&#039; catagory.<BR><BR>water under the bridge...

Default in jScript you can use string.charAt(0)

which would be substantially quicker and easier...<BR><BR>not that you&#039;rre using JScript, but I thought I&#039;d mention it in the ever-running crusade against VBScript