Hi all,<BR><BR>I am new to ATL so please forgive me if my question is an elementary one.<BR><BR>I used Peter Persits&#039; article ("Writing Objects Returning Other Object") to kick-off a (part of) solution to my problem. That article was very helpful, so my thanks to Peter. The article can be found on asp101, at:<BR>http://www.asp101.com/resources/persits/040699/article3.asp<BR><BR>However, what my methods need to do as well, is to return an empty object reference as a way of indicating that something could not be found, or created. (A similar thing already exists with Lotus Notes COM, where methods return &#039;Nothing&#039; if an object is not found)<BR><BR>For example, in my VB script I could have:<BR><BR>Set obj1 = CreateObject("MyLIB.MyRootObj")<BR>Set obj2 = obj1.CreateObj2(params...)<BR>If obj2 Is Nothing Then<BR> MsgBox "Sorry, could not create object"<BR>Else<BR> obj2.DoSomething()<BR>End If<BR><BR><BR>My intuition tells me the problem has to do with reference counting, not just returning a null pointer, but obviously I am not an expert in this. Can somebody please help? I would be very greatful.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance<BR><BR>Ned