Difference between two dates

Thread: Difference between two dates

Sukhwinder Singh Guest

Default Difference between two dates

Hello,<BR>I want to know how can I calculate the difference between two years in dates in JavaScript.<BR>I have tried this method but it doesn&#039;t claculate the right difference.<BR>date1 = new Date();<BR>date2 = new Date();<BR>diff = new Date();<BR>date1temp = new Date(objForm.DayOfMarriage.value + "/" + objForm.MonthOfMarriage.value + "/" + objForm.YearOfMarriage.value);<BR>date2temp = new Date(eval("objForm."+spouse+"_DayOfBirth.value")+"/"+eval("objForm."+spouse+"_MonthOfBirth.value" )+"/" +eval("objForm."+spouse+"_YearOfBirth.value"));<BR >date1.setTime(date1temp.getTime());<BR>date2.setT ime(date2temp.getTime());<BR>diff.setTime(Math.abs (date1.getTime() - date2.getTime()));<BR>timediff = diff.getTime();<BR>years = Math.floor(timediff / (1000 * 60 * 60 * 24 * 365));<BR><BR>Any help?

Dan Evans Guest

Default RE: Difference between two dates

The maths is solid enough so you must be getting a dodgy value from one of your fields. Try alert()ing the 2 dates before the calculation just to make sure they are what you expect.<BR><BR>Another possible problem is that your using dates in the format MM/DD/YYYY and your system is using DD/MM/YYYY (Or vice-versa)<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR><BR>-Dan Evans

Sukhwinder Singh Guest

I am using dd/mm/yyyy and also my system date format is same. I have also checked both dates but results are not exact. Main problem is division by 365 days or 366 days.

Dan Evans Guest

I suppose that unless you want to work out exactly how many leap years you&#039;ve had and put that into the divide equation, you could just use 365.25 as the number of days in a year. It&#039;s just a choice between accuracy and laziness. Sadly, I go for lazy every time :o(<BR><BR>-Dan Evans