recordset problem?????????????

Thread: recordset problem?????????????

J.J. Guest

Default recordset problem?????????????

I need to insert a record into 2 different tables. The insert in the first one works fine, but the second one apparently doens&#039;t see the value needed. I&#039;m trying to use the same request in both inserts can I do this???<BR><BR>First insert I have a field FEIN and call it by<BR><BR>sql=sql & "," & "&#039;" & request ("Fein") & "&#039;" <BR><BR>then I need to use it again in another insert<BR><BR>sql3= "INSERT INTO Registration(Registration_Number, Business_Id, Registration_Status ) "<BR><BR>sql3=sql3 & "Values(" <BR>sql3=sql3 & "&#039;" & request ("Fein") & "&#039;"<BR>sql=sql & "," & rs2("fred")<BR>sql3=sql3 & "," & "&#039;" & request ("Registration_Status") & "&#039;"<BR>sql3=sql3 & ")" <BR> <BR>Why can&#039;t I do this?? I keep getting --Insert value list does not match column list: Wrong number of values for INSERT <BR>and I know it comes from the FEIN request. Thanks for any suggestions.

After you construct the full sql3 string, RESPONSE.WRITE it so you can see what you are passing to the DB as the query.<BR><BR>I *suspect* that you are getting a NULL value for RS2("fred") and that it is actually the source of you problems.<BR><BR>But if you don&#039;t learn to DEBUG (and that means Response.Write in ASP coding, most of the time), then you can&#039;t find problems like this.<BR><BR>Hokay? Good luck.<BR><BR>