DSNless string in sqlserver problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSNless string in sqlserver problem

meeta Guest

Default DSNless string in sqlserver problem

I&#039;m getting this error :<BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039;80004005&#039; <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified <BR><BR>i&#039;ve specified DSNless string in golbal.asa file, if you change something in gloabl.asa then on uploading global file should work or is something else needs to be done?<BR><BR>Application("strConnection") = "PROVIDER=MSDASQL;DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=myserveripaddress;DATABASE=industri al;UID=myusername;PWD=mypasword;"

RDM Guest

Default Use SQLOLEDB instead

Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=myserveripaddress;User ID=myusername;Password=mypassword;Initial Catalog=industrial <BR><BR>SQLOLEDB is faster...

meeta Guest

Default RE: Use SQLOLEDB instead - still not working

thanks for your reply. But its stillnot working. Would it be possible to tell how can this error be fixed?

RDM Guest

Default Restart site in IIS and try again.

...If you test your page, you may not see the change to the Application variable yet.

meeta Guest

Default RE: if its dsnless strign why its giving this erro

I&#039;m not that knowledgeable in ASP. But what i don&#039;t understand is when you use DSNless string then why do i get this error, doe it still has to be add through ODBC or what i&#039;m missing here?<BR>What&#039;s the difference between dsnless or typical DSN string?<BR><BR>Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified <BR>

RDM Guest

Default Restart site?

Did you restart the site in IIS? If so, what does the application variable for the connection string display?<BR><BR>OLEDB is a different provider than ODBC and is the preferred provide for SQL Server. Thus, DSN&#039;s aren&#039;t needed.<BR><BR>If you want to use ODBC, it should be<BR><BR>Driver={SQL Server}; Server=myserver; Database=mydb; UID=username; PWD=userpwd

meeta Guest

Default RE: yes restarted it but...

i asked our webhosting provider to restart in IIS, but its still giving the same error.

RDM Guest

Default Is it displaying properly?

Is the connect string displaying properly while debugging?<BR>Do they offer support for SQLOLEDB?

meeta Guest

Default RE: guess what miracle happened!!

it started working. Whe you pointed last question, i changed it back to:<BR>Application("strConnection") = "DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=serverip;DATABASE=industrial;UID=us ername;PWD=pword;"<BR><BR>i took out provider..i&#039;m not sure what was wrong, but it started working! <BR>hey RDM THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLY, i learned with your suggestions..

RDM Guest

Default Interesting...

Perhaps your provider doesn&#039;t support SQLOLEDB...I wonder why?<BR>Anyway...Take care.