Protecting Images

Thread: Protecting Images

Default Protecting Images

Hi guys,<BR><BR>How do I protect images on my web site from being downloaded? You know the way you can right click on an image an save as. Is there a way to prevent this?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Mary

Eddie Campbell Guest

Default RE: Protecting Images

Well, you could try this. Put this code inside your &#060;head&#062; &#060;/head&#062; tags. It won&#039;t stop the image being sent to the users Temporary Internet File directory, but it will stop the Right click method.<BR><BR>&#060;script language="JavaScript"&#062; <BR>function theyclicked(thing) {<BR> if (document.all) {<BR> if (event.button == 2) {<BR> alert("Don&#039;t be naughty");<BR> return false;<BR> }<BR> }<BR> if (document.layers) {<BR> if (thing.which == 3) {<BR> alert("Don&#039;t be naughty");<BR> return false;<BR> }<BR> }<BR>}<BR><BR>if (document.layers) <BR>{<BR> document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);<BR>}<BR>< BR>document.onmousedown=click;<BR>&#060;/script&#062;

Default RE: Protecting Images

&#062;How do I protect images on my web site from being downloaded? <BR><BR>Short answer: You can&#039;t!<BR><BR>Long answer: <BR>There are many ways that a user can get the image they want. You can make it more difficult by doing things like disabling the right-click menu, or using CSS to display the images as backgounds of a &#060;span&#062; or &#060;div&#062; tag. But you can never completely prevent a determined user from getting the image.<BR><BR>Some of the ways a user can get the image include:<BR><BR>1. The browser cache - Everything that is viewed on a web page is automatically downloaded to ther user&#039;s computer. They can always get to it of they really wanted to just by going into the cache on their hard drive. <BR><BR>2. Saving the web page - In IE they could just save the whole page. Offline browsing software does the same thing.<BR><BR>3. View Source - They can read the image src from the html source and just type it into the browser directly.<BR><BR>4. Screen Capture - The infamous "Print Screen" button takes a snapshot of everything on the screen. <BR><BR>In other words, if you have something you need to protect don&#039;t put it on the web. If you are selling images, put a reduced quality version up instead and provide a way for your users to order the real images. Some software allows ou to watermark your images. The watermark is invisible, but can be read by software and used to prove that the image belongs to you. Of course that is useless unless you are prepared to sue for copyright infringement. <BR><BR><BR>