How to make input type text uneditable

Thread: How to make input type text uneditable

Default How to make input type text uneditable

Can someone tell me how to make input type text uneditable or unchange. I use input type="text" in my form in order to pick up information from the user. After that I display that info. again in another form using the same input type but this time I give the value="&#060;%=Server.HTMLEncode(cs.Fields("Code") )%&#062;" for instance. Of course user still can change the value inside. How to make that input type uneditable by the user where user just can see but cannot change. If possible I want to display the second form like the first form by not using Response.Write (Code). The example of my code is:<BR><BR>&#060;input type="text" name="Code" size="45" maxlength="128" value="&#060;%=Server.HTMLEncode(cs.Fields("Code") )%&#062;"&#062;

Kasper Guest

Default RE: How to make input type text uneditable

I know there is another solution to this problem, but if you need a quick solution try this:<BR><BR>Insert an onBlur event to your input, and have that event set the contents to the original cs.Fields("Code")<BR><BR>This way the users can still edit the contents, but when they leave the text box, or submit your form, the data will be reset.<BR>

Default Set READONLY

&#060;input type=&#039;text&#039; name=&#039;thing&#039; value=&#039;stuff&#039; READONLY&#062;

Thanks Casper but How to set onBlur event. I am new in HTML and ASP. Can you give me the example??

There are two ways to do this. <BR><BR>1. Put the READONLY or DISABLED attributes into the INPUT tag. The problem with this is that it only works with Internet Explorer. <BR><BR>&#060;INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="test" VALUE="test text" READONLY&#062;<BR>or <BR>&#060;INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="test" VALUE="test text" DISABLED&#062;<BR><BR>2. Use JavaScript to prevent the text element from getting focus. This works for both IE and Netscape but only if JavaScript is turned on.<BR><BR>&#060;INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="test" VALUE="test text" onfocus="blur();"&#062;<BR><BR><BR>You might want to look at another option entirley. Since the data has already been submitted, you can store it on the server and then write it back to the page as plain text instead in form fields. If you don&#039;t want to store it on the server then write it back to the page as plain text for display and as hidden fields for resubmittal. This is the most foolproof way to do it.

Vijay Guest

READONLY does not work in netscape4.x....<BR>&#060;INPUT Type=text Value="..." onFocus="this.blur()"&#062;<BR><BR>This will not allow user to set the focus on the text field.<BR><BR>But why are you putting the output into a text box (value="&#060;%=Server.HTMLEncode(cs.Fields("Code" ))%&#062;") when you do not want user to change it?<BR><BR>You can simply display it like &#060;TD&#062;&#060;%=cs.Fields("Code")%&#062;&#06 0;/TD&#062; inside a table & show it wherever you want on th html page.