Downloading Personal Web Server to Windows ME

Thread: Downloading Personal Web Server to Windows ME

shaunos Guest

Default Downloading Personal Web Server to Windows ME

Can&#039;t get PWS to work.<BR>Operating System keeps crashing.<BR>What can i do ??

Default RE: Downloading Personal Web Server to Windows ME

I am having the same problem. I downloaded from Microsoft, version 4.0 and it causes my IBM to get a Window Program error, then it won&#039;t boot correctly. I successfully installed this on a compaq but my IBM won&#039;t work. I tried to contact Microsoft about this (per IBM request) and they won&#039;t help me. If you find anything out, please, please let me know.

Bill James Guest

SOLUTION<BR>______________________________________ ___________________________<BR>1) Download the newest version of PWS from<BR><BR> Yes, this is the NT 4.0 Option Pack, but it includes the version of PWS for<BR> Win95 which can be used on WinMe with the following tweaks. After<BR> downloading Download.exe, run it and select the option to download PWS for<BR> Win95.<BR><BR>2) See<BR> Download the patch and implement per the instruction in this KB article.<BR><BR>3) Important! Do a Custom install of PWS, installing only the Transaction<BR> Server component. To do this, uncheck all the options, then check<BR> Transaction Server - it will add checks to the other components needed for<BR> it, but not the Personal Web Server option.<BR><BR>4) After Setup completes and a reboot, re-run Setup and add PWS. Reboot after<BR> Setup completes.<BR><BR>5) PWS should now work. Easiest way to implement using it for local copies of<BR> your web pages is to copy the contents of the entire local folder structure<BR> of your web site to C:Inetpubwwwroot (or the folder you selected during<BR> PWS setup). To clarify, if the local copy of your web site is in<BR> D:MyWebSite, with the default start page and all sub-folders located<BR> there, you copy all the files and sub-folders, but not the D:MyWebSite<BR> folder itself.<BR><BR>6) If you are using ASP and your start page is default.asp, allow your file to<BR> overwrite the default.asp file already in C:Inetpubwwwroot. If you are<BR> using index.htm or some other start page, you need to rename the PWS<BR> default.asp file so it is not the default page for the local site.<BR><BR>7) In your web browser address bar, type...<BR><BR> localhost<BR><BR> bring up your start page.<BR><BR>Other installation issues I encountered:<BR><BR>1) PWS Setup replaced regsvr32.exe with an old version. Extract regsvr32.exe<BR> from the WinMe Setup files to C:WindowsSystem to replace the old version<BR> that PWS installed there.<BR><BR>2) My linked .js files would not work at first because they were in a folder<BR> called "Scripts", but PWS comes pre-configured with a Virtual Directory by<BR> that same name. So, references to that folder were actually going to the<BR> Virtual Folder, and the requested .js file did not exist there.<BR> Solution: Open the Advanced Options page of PWS manager and remove or rename<BR> the "Scripts" Virtual Directory.<BR><BR>Bill James<BR>Visit my VBScript Page:<BR>Revised 29/Oct/2000 20:54

shaunos Guest

See reply from Bill James 3/24/2001.<BR>It works !!<BR>Good luck.

shaunos Guest

Thankyou for your help Bill, i have PWS working now.<BR>I was about to install Win &#039;98, as i thought that was my only option.<BR><BR>cheers,<BR>shaunos