Debugging HTTP 500 - Internal server errors

Thread: Debugging HTTP 500 - Internal server errors

Mark Dennis Guest

Default Debugging HTTP 500 - Internal server errors

Hello,<BR><BR>I&#039;m developing an ASP based web site. This includes user authentication via an Access database and a smart URL history facility culled from the wonderful Everything works well .... most of the time. However, intermittently pages are being bounced back with the HTTP 500 - internal server error page. I&#039;ve checked out the site log files and the relevant entries include the string:-<BR><BR>"Out-of-process+ISAPI+extension+request+failed"<BR><BR>Thi s affects different pages at different times - Is this likely to be a fault in the design of my pages (which I could understand if the same error was returned every time a page was viewed) or an issue for the hosting company?<BR><BR>Any advice would be more than welcome as I&#039;m starting to pull my hair out on this one... and I didn&#039;t have too much to start with in the first place!<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Mark

John Pennington Guest

Default RE: Debugging HTTP 500 - Internal server errors

I don&#039;t know if this will be helpful, but IE, by default, screens the Internal 500 errors and removes the specific reason for the error. You can turn this off by going to Tools/Internet Options, then selecting the Advanced tab. Scroll down to "Show friendly HTTP error messages" and then uncheck it.<BR><BR>From that point forward, you&#039;ll get much more specific detail whenever you get a 500 error.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>John<BR>