Writing to Textfiles

Thread: Writing to Textfiles

Trish Guest

Default Writing to Textfiles

Hi,<BR>I am having problems writing to a textfile, I am working on PWS and when I write to the A/C drive it works perfectly, but when I connect to it from another PC on the same network(that doesnt run PWS), it doesnt allow me to save the textfile to any drive, instead it saves it to the C Drive of the PC that my files are on!!<BR><BR>any ideas???<BR>

Elliot Guest

Default RE: Writing to Textfiles

Does you have a drive mapped to the other PC? If so, you may have to use the GetDrive method on your local machine (point it to the network drive), and work from there... <BR><BR>I have had similar issues, however... Turned out to be a permissions problem; I did not have write access to the folder I was trying to create a textfile on

Trish Guest

No I havent mapped the drive, but I cant even write to the A drive and their are no permission problems on that,<BR><BR>strFileName = ""&dest&"Report.txt"<BR>this is the file path I am using, (dest being A:/)so it should save to the A drive as A:/report.txt, but for some reason it will not do this on any machine but the one my files are on.

The problem is that you are mixing server and client side logic.<BR><BR>You are asking the server script (in ASP) to save a text file to the A drive of a client computer. This solution won&#039;t work. The Server Side script can not write a file to a drive on the client machine. That&#039;s why it works on the machine running PWS, because that machine is both client and server.<BR><BR>One possibility is to save the file on the server and build a page with a link to the newly created file. Then, ask the user to right click the link and choose &#039;Save Target As&#039; to save the file to their local machine.