MS Access vs SQL Server

Thread: MS Access vs SQL Server

Default MS Access vs SQL Server

Hi,<BR><BR>I am doing some volunteer work and developing an online catalogue using ASP. The organization doesn&#039t have much cash and were looking at Access rather than SQL 7. I realize that Access is not scalable. How many hits do you need for it to break? Is this a viable option or do they need to invest &#062; $3000 in SQL Server? Is there anything I can do in my ASP component which will extend the amount of hits which can occur to the Access DB?

Michael Swanson Guest

Default RE: MS Access vs SQL Server

I&#039ve run many Internet/intranet databases with Access, and I&#039ve had no problems (/me knocks on wood).<BR><BR>From what I&#039ve heard (correct me if I&#039m wrong, someone), Access will natively support up to 64 simultaneous connections. Of course, this won&#039t relate directly to Internet visitors, since database connections don&#039t normally all occur at once. With Connection Pooling enabled (in the ODBC Control Panel applet), I&#039ve heard that you can achieve a *theoretical* maximum of 256 connections. I wouldn&#039t count on it, however.<BR><BR>Michael Swanson, MCSE, MCP+Internet<BR>Webmaster<BR>Donnelly Corporation<BR>