SQL/ASP Group By/Select Question

Thread: SQL/ASP Group By/Select Question

Default SQL/ASP Group By/Select Question

I have a SQL table with a list of links. Each URL is categorized in at least one and up to four categories. Each category is stored in a column: C1, C2, C3, and C4. The categories are stored in order of relevance.<BR><BR>I&#039;m trying to write a SELECT statement that will group URLs by category. I need URLs to be listed under each category that are in one of the four corresponding category columns.<BR><BR>Thus, even though there is only one record for each URL, I need a URL to be returned each time it falls into a certain category.<BR><BR>Can anyone help me write a select statement to do this?<BR><BR>Do I have to write four seperate statements--one for each column--and put the recordsets together? How would I put to record sets together if I did this?<BR><BR>I know that this grouping-by-column that I want to do would be easily acheived if I reorganized the table by URL so that each URL was inputed as a separate record for each category it fell under. But, for other reasons, I don&#039;t want to change this setup if I don&#039;t have to.<BR><BR>I greatly appreciate any ideas anyone has. Please let me know if I have not provided enough information.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Chris

Richard K Guest

Default RE: SQL/ASP Group By/Select Question

&#062;How would I put to record sets together if I did this?&#062;<BR>One way of doing that could be by using UNION. That gives you the chance to have multiple selects but only one recordset. Could be worth checking out...

Default Tried the UNION, but isn't grouping

I&#039;ve tried the UNION command, and it&#039;s returned the multiple select statements together into one recordset, but what I need is create a recordset that puts the C1, C2, C3, and C4 columns together into one column that I can order by.<BR><BR>Should I use a JOIN command instead? And, what would this statement look like?<BR><BR>Here&#039;s my SQL Statement as it is now.<BR><BR>"SELECT * FROM tblSources " & _<BR>"UNION SELECT * FROM tblSources " & _<BR>"UNION SELECT * FROM tblSources " & _<BR>" UNION SELECT * FROM tblSources"<BR><BR>Thanks for the help!<BR>Chris