form variable weirdness

Thread: form variable weirdness

Shawn Clabough Guest

Default form variable weirdness

Here&#039s the situation. In one page, I have the following:<BR><BR>&#060;form name="form1" action="UpdateProblemDetails.asp" method="POST"&#062;<BR>&#060;input type=hidden name="org_body" value="&#060;%=Server.HTMLencode(rs("body"))%&#062 ;"&#062;<BR>&#060;%=len(Server.HTMLencode(rs("body ")))%&#062;<BR>...<BR>&#060;/form&#062;<BR><BR>The value of the length function gives a number (i.e. 2078) for my problem case.<BR><BR>On the next page I have:<BR><BR>&#060;%=len(request("org_body"))%&#06 2;<BR><BR>The value of this length function gives 2129 as the result. I have also tried it without the Server.HTMLencode on the first page with the same result.<BR><BR>Also strange is that the results are correct for some values of len(request("org_body")) and others are incorrect. Are some characters being changed during the pass between pages?

Shawn Clabough Guest

Default RE: form variable weirdness

I think I tracked the problem down to the difference between UNIX end-of-line characters and Windows. The database was originally getting populated via a UNIX script, but when the web server grabbed ahold of it, it converted the end-of-line characters to Windows format.