Text field versus hard drive File

Thread: Text field versus hard drive File

Nannette Thacker Guest

Default Text field versus hard drive File

I have a question about the best use of storage and performance:<BR><BR>If I have several large text fields per record:<BR>Is it best to store these multi-thousand character text fields in the database itself, or store them as files on the hard drive, and use the record to know where to find them on the hard drive and open them from the hard drive for editing, displaying, and such.<BR><BR>What is the benefit of storing them within the table?<BR><BR>I know when you use a service provider, they can really rack up the charges when your database size exceeds their base package, so this is a good reason to put the large files on the hard drive. <BR><BR>I know that text fields used to cause performance issues in databases -- due to if you deleted the record, it didn&#039;t really delete the text field and you had to rebuild the table or something like that to really clear out those contents from storage. But maybe that is no longer an issue with SQL 7.<BR><BR>Plus text fields have to be the last field in the table, which isn&#039;t really an issue, I suppose. What other requirements/limitations are there for having the text field in the database? And what benefits are there? What pros and cons for database text fields versus hard drive files?<BR><BR>thanks!<BR><BR>Nannette<BR>

Default RE: Text field versus hard drive File

I have never been a fan of storing files in a db. The link sure but not the file itself. Databases can get quite large and each time you access the db you are putting a connection load on the server that isn&#039;t necessary if you just display the links and bypass the db. Just my thought.

Default RE: Text field versus hard drive File

Well, it all depends on your specific problem with db size, but know this: File i/o is verrrrry slow compared to a db query. It amplifies this if you&#039;re using a non compiled language (the FSO is much slower than it&#039;s VB counterpart i/o). Perhaps the only thing that could rival the speed would be to use Java/C++ i/o, but I&#039;ll bet the database is still much faster.