Displaying binary field contents?

Thread: Displaying binary field contents?

Hud Guest

Default Displaying binary field contents?

Is it possible to display binary field values? If so, how. Specifically, timestamp fields are binary. And I want to show their contents. There must be a way, otherwise, why use timestamp at all? (I did not design the database, alas, or I would have made them datetime).

Default RE: Displaying binary field contents?

In ASP, generic data from Databases are Variants - they are not specific data types UNTIL you explicitly convert them. Thus, SQL Server will store a timestamp file as binary, but once ADO reads it into the ASP environment, its a variant...so just response.write <<column name>>

HUd Guest

Default Nope

Maybe it&#039;s supposed to do that, but it doesn&#039;t. It gives me a type mismatch when I try to display it either by moving it into a variable, a straight =rs("timestamp") display. And I tried CDATE and a bunch other techniques. <BR><BR>We&#039;re using NT 4, IIS 4 and SQL 7.

Default RE: Nope

try response.binaryWrite(yourField)

Hud Guest

Default Huh--It kind of worked, sort of

I didn&#039;t know about binarywrite. I should read my books more. :)<BR><BR>Anyway, it displayed this: -lj<BR><BR>Shouldn&#039;t it be time stamp data? Is there a conversion needed somewhere?

Default RE: Huh--It kind of worked, sort of

Response.BinaryWrite is normally used to output graphics. It simply takes the 8 bytes in that timestamp value and sends them unmodified to the output. <BR><BR>Well, the fact that this worked indeed shows that what you have is a binary field. In VARIANT terms, you have an array of UI1 data. I have no idea how to convert this to something else using standard VBS (or JS) conversions. I think the basic problem is that this particular VARIANT is not supported as a variable type by the scripting engines. Dunno what to tell you!<BR><BR>Incidentally, if you read the TSQL docs carefully, you will see that "timestamp" is *NOT* necessarily related to time-of-day. It is perfectly possible (and even likely) that it is implemented instead as simply a monotonically increasing number that uses 8 bytes only to guarantee that it will be unique within the expected life of the universe. (That is, each time a timestamp in a given DB is generated, it simply gets the next number in sequence...and there are roughly 16,000,000,000,000,000,000 available numbers.)<BR><BR>

Hud Guest

Default RE: Huh--It kind of worked, sort of

Yeah, it&#039;s annoying. I don&#039;t see the point in such a field if it can&#039;t dive you a date and/or date/time unless all you care about is sequencing. The record ID usually does that. <BR><BR>Whatever....<BR><BR>Thanks!