Netscape 6 cookie problem

Thread: Netscape 6 cookie problem

KPW Guest

Default Netscape 6 cookie problem

Has anyone else experienced problems with reading/writing cookies from ASP with Netscape 6? I don&#039;t have any problems with IE or Netscape 4.x, but with Netscape 6 the browser just hourglasses and eventually I have to stop loading the page. (At least it doesn&#039;t lock up!)<BR><BR>If you have any leads or links to discussions on this, I&#039;d appreciate it!

Default RE: Netscape 6 cookie problem

Yes I do<BR><BR>I haven&#039;t tried writing a cookie but I know it will not read cookies that have been created.<BR><BR>I thought NS 6 was a great improvement when I first installed it but I am finding that not to be the case as I test my applications with it

Steve Cimino Guest

Hmm, I just tested all my sites that use cookies with NN6, and no problems at all. Although these cookies expire at the end of each session (no expiration date is used). Are you persisiting the cookie longer? Perhaps a bug?

KPW Guest

Darn. I thought you were on to something with the persistence stuff, but that doesn&#039;t appear to be it. I tried writing the cookie without setting an expiration date and it still just hourglassed.<BR><BR>Not a big deal. I&#039;m administering an intranet and the standard browser is IE, but I know that some people here still insist on using Netscape. I&#039;m just using cookies for caching purposes, and to work around this apparent bug I just sniff for Netscape 6 and then read from the DB instead of from the cookie.<BR><BR>Thanks!

KPW Guest

Ditto. It IS a vast improvement over Netscape 4, especially in the area of stylesheet support. Still, I don&#039;t buy their "Netscape 6 is the most standards compliant browser" line -- I&#039;ve experienced plenty of cases where IE handles stylesheets the way I expect it to, whereas Netscape does it wrong. (Have you ever tried using an image as the background for a table? Why Netscape insists on applying the image to each cell in the table rather than to the entire table is beyond me. If Netscape is actually following the specification, then I think the specification is wrong.)