80004005 error again

Thread: 80004005 error again

kate Guest

Default 80004005 error again

Hi, I&#039;m having trouble opening an excel spreadsheet. <BR><BR>The error is :<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039;80004005&#039; <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] Cannot open database &#039;(unknown)&#039;. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt. <BR><BR>I&#039;ve read the FAQ answer to this, (www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowFAQ.asp?FAQID=115) but when I get to Part III, right-click on C:TEMP and choose properties, I have three tabs - General, sharing and Web sharing, no mention of &#039;permissions&#039;. So I didn&#039;t manage to change the permissions on this. <BR><BR>I&#039;m on Windows NT. Any ideas ?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Kate

Default RE: 80004005 error again

It looks to me that the faq is in error; you only get the permissions button in "properties" if the directory is a share. You can add permissions via the user manager (which you access via administrative tools or administrative tools (common) on the start menu. Then you can add the IUSR_machinename user to the list. You might also have to set permissions on your spreadsheets with mmc.<BR><BR>Incidentally, you might get slightly better performance using the Jet provider instead of the one for odbc drivers. If you figure out a way to make changes in the Excel file, I&#039;d love to hear how; I&#039;ve only been able to read them.