Setting up Access database online - basics

Thread: Setting up Access database online - basics

Jon Andrews Guest

Default Setting up Access database online - basics

I am very new to Access or ASP areas so i apologise for the simplicity of my question.<BR><BR>I have an access database locally and I want to serve this online. I know I need an ODBC driver and want to use ASP to access the information. Please can someone explain to me the steps to setting this up.<BR><BR>Please include the following information:<BR>i) Creating the ODBC driver and where I put it - in relation to the server<BR>ii) Where I put the .asp file to access this - I have seen some code on setting up a connection to the database but unfortunatley I not sure of the configuration before this stage<BR><BR>Thankyou

Default RE: Setting up Access database online - basics

You need to put your database in a folder that write permissions<BR><BR>Then you can put your asp pages anywhere you like<BR><BR>I always use a dns-less connection to the database like this<BR><BR>Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR><BR>con nStr = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("./cgi-bin/yourdatabase.mdb")<BR>Conn.Open connStr<BR><BR>The above connecion would be used on a page that is in the root directory of your website<BR><BR>just change ("./cgi-bin/yourdatabase.mdb") depending on where your calling the database from<BR><BR>ie.. if you had your asp page in a folder in the root directory then the connection would look like<BR><BR>("../cgi-bin/yourdatabase.mdb")<BR><BR>thats all you need to connect to your database <BR><BR>