Thread: Connection?????????????????HELP

Default Connection?????????????????HELP

Hi I&#039;m putting my database on a server along with my asp files. My files are stored under wwwroot in a folder as well as the database. I went to odbc and created an access system dsn. The problem is NONE of my pages recognize the path. I keep getting this error--<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039;80004005&#039; <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified <BR><BR>/dave/enterapp.asp, line 43 <BR><BR> I have this in my code--<BR><BR>Dim strDSN<BR> Dim objConn<BR> Dim ReturnVal<BR> Dim objRS<BR> Dim strSelectSQL<BR> Dim NoRecord<BR> Dim GotRecord<BR><BR>&#039;Create DSN Connection<BR>strDSN = "DSN=whatever.dsn"<BR><BR>Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>objConn .Open "strDSN"<BR><BR>Can someone please tell me a site that gives step by step instructions for putting a db on a server. I have never had this problem before. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!11<BR><BR>

Default Looks like DSN problem...

You say you are putting this up on a Server. Is it possibly a permissions-to-the-DSN problem?<BR><BR>That error message indicates that it simply isn&#039;t finding the DSN you are specifying. That is, it&#039;s looking in the registry of DSNs and isn&#039;t finding what you are using.<BR><BR>Oh, wait! That code you showed isn&#039;t *REALLY* what you are using, is it???? You will kick yourself if it is!<BR><BR>You showed us:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>strDSN = "DSN=whatever.dsn"<BR>objConn.Open "strDSN"<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>What DSN name do you think that code tried to use? That is, what name (given that code, exactly as shown) did the system search for in the table of DSNs?<BR><BR>Ready?<BR><BR>It searched for "strDSN". Did you *really* name your DSN "strDSN"? I bet not. Did you mean to code this, instead:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>strDSN = "DSN=whatever.dsn"<BR>objConn.Open strDSN<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>So that now the system will search for "whatever.dsn" as the DSN name???<BR><BR>I figure chances are good that mistyped when you put the message here in the forum, but if you didn&#039;t, then that is surely (at least one of) your problems.<BR><BR><BR>