"Catastrophic" Error

Thread: "Catastrophic" Error

Scott Assenheimer Guest

Default "Catastrophic" Error

I&#039;m trying to use ASP to login to a database (Oracle) and do some activity. It&#039;s a simple query that pings a database for a userid. Here&#039;s the code:<BR><BR>&#039;START OF OFFENDING CODE<BR>&#039;#include file to connect to Admin Database<BR>Dim AdminCN, AdminCM, AdminRS<BR>Set AdminCN = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>&#039; "3 = (ADO Constant) "adModeReadWrite"<BR>AdminCN.Mode = 3 <BR>Set AdminCM = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")<BR>Set AdminRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")<BR>AdminCN. ConnectionString = "PROVIDER=MSDASQL;dsn=PESI;uid=wbdev;pwd=wbdev;dat abase=pesi;"<BR>AdminCN.Open<BR>&#039;END OF CODE<BR><BR>It works fine in local(host) PWS development against the same exact database (profile,db, HTML/ASP files, everything).<BR><BR>It also works for 4/5ths (roughly) of the time on the IIS server. <BR><BR>Occassionally (and at predictably the most inconvenient time) I get a "Catastrophic Error...At line X" where X is the line that opens the database connection. <BR><BR>It runs for all users some of the time but not for all users all of the time, with no code changes inbetween. Does anyone know what the deal is? I&#039;ve read that it&#039;s a memory leak or something with MS ODBC drivers but we&#039;re using an Oracle 7.3 driver. I think it&#039;s fairly obvious that this is an IIS problem. How do I solve this? Are the MS files available somewhere?<BR><BR>(We installed the latest Microsoft MDAC 2.6 setup on the server but apparently that isn&#039;t making a difference).<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Scott

Default Provider

What oledb provider are you using? If it&#039;s the one for odbc drivers, I&#039;ve found that the MS driver works better than the one shipped with Oracle. You could also try using the native Oracle provider - it works better unless you need to use some of the "missing" functionality.

Scott (Again) Guest

Default RE: Provider

Thanks Derek, I appreciate the help.<BR><BR>I&#039;m a little new to this but we&#039;re using the Microsoft provider ("PROVIDER=MSDASQL") but might try the Oracle native version (once we can figure out what the string is for Oracle....)<BR><BR>Later,<BR>Scott

Default Sample connection strings

Here are a couple of templates for connecting to an Oracle server.<BR><BR>cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};UID=username;PWD=password;SERVER=servernam e;"<BR><BR>cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=MSDAORA.1;Password=password;User ID=UserName;Data Source=servername;Persist Security Info=True"<BR>