Query to see whether a table exists?

Thread: Query to see whether a table exists?

Default Query to see whether a table exists?

I need a SQL query that will check to see whether a table exists. If it exists, I want to DROP it. Anybody know how to write this query?<BR><BR>Currently, I just use on error resume next and DROP the table. If it does not exist, an error is generated and the page keeps processing. I am not pleased with this solution, though.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Dave

Ben Jones Guest

Default RE: Query to see whether a table exists?

In order to drop the table you are going to have to be connected as its creator via the DSN. Assuming this isn&#039t a security problem, you can just run a simple SQL command to drop the table:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR><BR>set Conn = server.createObject("ADODB.connection")<BR>Conn.Op en "[DSN]", "[username]", "[password]"<BR><BR>sSQL = "if exists (select * from sysobjects where id = object_id(&#039dbo.your_table_name&#039) AND sysstat & 0xf = 3)" & chr(10) & "drop table dbo.your_table_name&#039" & chr(10) & "GO"<BR><BR>set RS = Conn.Execute(sSQL)<BR><BR>Conn.Close<BR>set RS = nothing<BR>set Conn = nothing<BR><BR>&#037;&#062;<BR><BR>Note that I have assumed that your table is owned by the system administrator (sa account, listed there as DBO, or database owner). You will have to change the name of the table obviously.

What if you want to check to see if the table exists then if it does then run through a bunch of asp code. For what I need to do I need to just check to see if it exists and if it does then continue through the rest of the asp code, else print something like "the table doesnt exist" to the screen.

Wouldn&#039;t it be convenient to have something like the MySQL extension "IF EXISTS" ?<BR><BR>So you could do things like<BR><BR>IF NOT dbo.Exists_function(&#039;objectname&#039;)<BR> CREATE TABLE objectname ......<BR><BR>Maybe,<BR>CREATE FUNCTION dbo.Found (@TN nvarchar(100))<BR>AS<BR> RETURN EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sysobjects WHERE id = object_id(@TN)<BR>

Default Is there a reason....

You replied to a nine year old thread? Did you have a question in there?