Problem with Access

Thread: Problem with Access

Default Problem with Access

Hi there,<BR><BR>I urgently need help. I am using an asp form to add data to access database. I have a textarea in the form where the user is asked to submit a research paper. So far alls well. The problem comes when special characters are inserted in this field. The users are science students and their paper may contain special charaters such as alpha, beta or other characters. The users are going to cut and paste their work from word docs to this file. How can I convert these special charcters to be inserted correctly..? <BR><BR>Thanks !

Dragonne Guest

Default Suggestion

This is just a thought, but it should work.<BR><BR>Whenever I am having problems with special characters, I always read the data from the form using the Server.HTMLEncode method. You would do this when you read the Form value into a string before adding it to the SQL Insert statement, or the Recordset .add method&#039;s subsequent value settings. For example:<BR><BR>Report1 = Server.HTMLEncode(Request.Form("report_textarea")) <BR><BR>This has always properly recorded wierd characters for me in the past. The nice part is that you don&#039;t have to unencode the values when displaying them on a webpage, ASP and HTML do this for you.<BR><BR>I don&#039;t want to assume anything, so remember to use the Memo value for the field type in the Access database where you will be storing the reports. The Text field type has a maximum size of 255 characters, which I&#039;m quite sure will be a bit too small. :)<BR><BR>Good Luck!