Thread: HTML From DB

Jack Tonk Guest

Default HTML From DB

Hey. I am looking for advice on the following problem. I am building an intranet with several hundreds of html files. I want to use include files for the navigation footers on each page. I would love to use include files for the actual content of the pages. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a way to make include files contain variables. If only the following worked: Response.Write &#060;!--include file="test.asp="&#060;%RS("variable")%&#062;--&#062;<BR><BR>Anyway, how can I populate the content of my pages using a database and asp? I envision a default page that dynamically generates the navigation links and the text.<BR><BR>All suggestions are much appreciated.

VL Guest

Default RE: HTML From DB

I don&#039;t know if you&#039;ve tried this or not, but here:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>blah blah blah<BR>%&#062;<BR>&#060;!-- #include file="test.asp?&#060;%= RS("variable") %&#062;" --&#062;<BR>&#060;%<BR>Rest of code<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>Try implementing SSI tags this way, instead of Response.Write.

Mike Shaffer Guest

Default Huh?

If your include files are ASP, then they can perform ANY scripting process, including the display/manipulation of variables. I guess perhaps I do not understand what you are asking. Can you clarify? ;-)

Johnny Hughes Guest

Default RE: HTML From DB

The answer to your question lies in Part 3 of the below link...but real dynamic includes are not possible (the way we would like to do them).<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>Here is another article concerning this problem:<BR><BR>

Default RE: Huh?

I think he wants to be able to include dynamically - in other words, he has content pages in HTML and he wants to build a/several standard display pages that dynamically include the html pages on his site...

Mike Shaffer Guest

Hmm... that&#039;s not what I gleaned at all. Oh well, perhaps he&#039;ll explain more??

Jack Tonk Guest

Kurt phrased the problem better than I did. Thanks for the help.<BR><BR>I believe the info contained at<BR><BR>solves my problem.<BR><BR>Does anyone know how addresses this issue? <BR>