URGENT - Need help with AUTHENTICATION

Thread: URGENT - Need help with AUTHENTICATION

Big Smurf Guest

Default URGENT - Need help with AUTHENTICATION

Hi,<BR><BR>I need to authentify incoming users on an intranet website. The company pretty much uses a 100% percent Microsoft solution, meaning IIS 3, NT server 4, access database. Users all have NT Workstation, but some use IE and some Netscape. A minority uses WFW3.11 on aging pcs.<BR><BR>I&#039ve tried a few techniques. NT Challeng/Response won&#039t work since some people have netscape. Right now I have IIS set to Allow anonymous and basic clear text. This allows everyone to connect without having to log in. However, I don&#039t believe the web server identifies the user, since a Response.Write(Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER ") doesn&#039t print anything.<BR><BR>Unchecking Allow anonymous permits the display of the NT WorkgroupUserid with the above ASP instruction... well, for me on the server, but other people were prompted to log in, and I don&#039t want that.<BR><BR><BR>So what would be a pretty sure way of identifying a user, knowing that some use ie and others netscape?<BR><BR><BR>I&#039ve had 2 answers so far but none work!<BR> one said to use &#039allow anonymous&#039 and &#039nt chal/rsp&#039 but then asp doesn&#039t identify the user,<BR> another said to use clear text and nt chall/rsp and to uncheck anonymous, but then people have to log in...<BR><BR><BR>any suggestions?

Default RE: URGENT - Need help with AUTHENTICATION

Does the following solution not work for you?<BR>http://4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/050499-1.shtml

Bigsmurf Guest

Default RE: URGENT - Need help with AUTHENTICATION

Scott --<BR><BR>I&#039m sorry i didn&#039t thank you for answering last time.<BR><BR>The 4guys tutorial you mention, I already have printed out & read. I tried it and it does work fine.<BR>The problem is, in this case the point is to avoid that the users have to log in when coming onto the intranet site, since there seems to be a way to identify them thru NT.<BR><BR>The problem is I don&#039t know how to set IIS (3.0) for this, I&#039ve tried different settings and had different answers on this, and either everyone has to log in (i don&#039t want that), or ASP just won&#039t identify anything (that&#039s if i use allow anonymous).<BR><BR>The goal is simple: this intranet site allows access to french Minitel services, for which each user should have to pay (it is quite expensive).<BR><BR>Hope you kinda get an idea of what I&#039m looking for...<BR><BR>Thanks anyway for your help!