What is this??

Thread: What is this??

Default What is this??

I&#039;m getting this error when I&#039;m using a script to edit a database.<BR><BR>Error Type:<BR>ADODB.Recordset (0x800A0CB3)<BR>Object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation.<BR>/edit.asp, line 272<BR><BR><BR>Here&#039;s the script...<BR><BR>Set connectionToDatabase=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Co nnection")<BR>connectionToDatabase.ConnectionTimeo ut=40<BR>connectionToDatabase.Open "DSN=ConstructComm"<BR><BR>Set recordSet=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<B R>(line 272--&#062;)recordSet.open "SELECT * FROM " & Request.QueryString("Doc") & " WHERE ID="&Request.QueryString("DocID"),connectionToData base<BR><BR>recordSet.Update<BR>recordSet("Date")= Request.Form("Date")<BR>recordSet("ChecksRecvd")=R equest.Form("ChecksRecvd")<BR>recordSet("Billed")= Request.Form("Billed")<BR>recordSet("Owed")=Reques t.Form("Owed")<BR><BR><BR>Thanks...<BR>

Default RE: What is this??

Your problem is that you do not specify a CursorTpye in your Recordset open statement. Your Cursortype is set as forward only by defualt since you do not specify one. In Access forwardonly recordsets are not updateable. I imagine the same is true for other databases. You want to set the cursor Type to opendynamic. this can be done as follows.<BR><BR>Connection object is named: objConn<BR>Recordest is Named: objRS<BR>SQL statment is stored in Variable: SQL<BR><BR>If those are the particular Objects the Open statment is:<BR><BR>objRS.Open SQL, objConn, 2<BR><BR>The 2 specifies the cursortype as opendynamic.<BR><BR>Good Luck