Login

Thread: Login

Default Login

Could you please give me an idea/logic behind accepting a wrong login thrice and throw the user out once the login entered was wrong more than 3 times ??? Is this possible only by updating the count of entries to the database ?? Or is there any other way which does not require any database updations or additions??<BR><BR>Thank you in advance !!!

Default RE: Login

Hmm,<BR><BR>well some aspers would say i am not correct but<BR>setting a session var per the failed logon wouldn&#039;t be too bad.<BR>it would be quite easy to add one to the value and then check the Session against the page request.<BR><BR>Another way would be to pass it in a hidden form field,<BR>but that would require a little javascripting knowledge.<BR>and would be easier on the server in a large processing environment.

Unless you have a site that required an incredible amount of security I wouln&#039;t even bother kicking the user after 3 tries. You then have to allow for the ability to reset users which is a pain all in itself. If you have a secure enough login no one should be able to break in regardless of attempted tries.

No offense oh mighty samson<BR><BR>but.<BR><BR>NOTHING is secure. I once read that the more paranoid a system administrator is, the better they are. <BR><BR>I follow one credo, nothing is sacred or secure.<BR><BR>But why not cut them off at every pass possible.<BR><BR>Oh, and with a hidden form value, you wouldnt have to worry anyways. Because you could send them to the other side of the world, and then trip a date trigger in their system to not allow another logon until 4:30 tomorrow. (or whatever)

True enough. :)