ASP and DB locking *URGENT*

Thread: ASP and DB locking *URGENT*

Default ASP and DB locking *URGENT*

i have just been asked about writing a time recording system, in itself it should be ok but i was asked about how the db locks with access. as far as i can tell it locks the whole database when one person opens it for update, but they want to know what happens if 300 people open the database and want to write at the same time, can there be specific record locking? Would it make a difference that the only time the database is locked is when the script is run to update and then it is released a few seconds after it is updated, would i need to use SQLserver instead of access ?

Default RE: ASP and DB locking *URGENT*

This is an Access, not an ASP question. You&#039ll probably get a better response if you post it to the "Databases Q & A". I&#039m not an Access expert, but I know that Access allows you to choose your record-locking strategy. It doesn&#039t support record-level locking, but does support page-level locking, where a page is 4K. So if your table is less than 4K, you&#039re locking the entire table. SQL Server may or may not support record-level locking, depending on the vendor and the version. MS SQL Server 7.0 supports record-level locking, but older versions only support page-level locking.

Vipul Desai Guest

Default RE: ASP and DB locking *URGENT*

I think the previous response to your question was a bit off but somewhat on target. Access does support record locking -- the only problem is that the size of the record has to be less than 4K, which isn&#039t a problem. <BR><BR>I have written Access multi-user programs that work, but it is not a scalable multi-user program. I have about 15 users using it and it will work pretty well. The record locking schemes do support pessimistic and optimistic locking.<BR><BR>The problem with Access is that unlike SQL or Oracle, Access copies too much information from the Server to the client. Ideally, one wants a database to transfer small amounts of data from the server to the client. Access sends over too much information and this caused problems with scalability as well performance.