Very technical question

Thread: Very technical question

Randy Guest

Default Very technical question

Could someone please help me with an answer.<BR>Or can point me to where i can find one.<BR><BR>If 1 assign a string or a varable the result of a record set like this<BR>&#060;%<BR>&#039;Query goes here<BR>strMyresult = (rs.Fields("Name").Value)<BR>rs.close<BR>Set rs=Nothing<BR>%&#062;<BR>^^^^ with the rs closed i can still use the string later in my code like this<BR><BR>&#060;%=strMyresults%&#062;<BR><BR>Now if i use this string later in code, ie: at bottom of page, and the recordset is already closed...<BR>does the value assigned to the string clear it&#039;s self when code is completed.<BR>I presume when i assign the string it is held in memory on server to use later on page. but does it clear its self or is there a way to clear it.<BR><BR>I know if page is loaded again, and if that value is still there it will only be writen over with the new value.<BR>But what if that person browses 50 pages and there are 50 strings within pages, are there 50 strings & values hogging server memory?<BR><BR>Sorry if this seems redundant but something i really need to know.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance<BR>Randy

Default RE: Very technical question

All the memory used by an ASP page will be freed when execution ends. People tend to be picky about freeing objects (especially database objects) because they have a much higher overhead, and there used to be bugs in IIS that meant it wouldn&#039;t always free its memoery properly. I&#039;ve never heard of any problems from simple strings.<BR><BR>Dunc