2 sticky ones

Thread: 2 sticky ones

Crew Guest

Default 2 sticky ones

I&#039;m having problems with two issues for which I can find no solutions after days of trying to think up possible solutions.<BR>1) Links are inserted into a form with their standard double quotation marks (e.g. "link"). I want to save them to the database with an extra set of double quotation marks (""link"") and write it back to page with only the original double quotation marks. Is there some kind of escape / un-escape function I can use in ASP?<BR>2) I discovered that "If ... Then" and "If not ... Then" does not work with memo fields in Access. However, I need to check if a memo field has something in it and if so then to insert the heading and the contents of the field. The text format field set to 255 characters is not long enough for some of the descriptions.<BR>Help will really be appreciated.<BR>

Default RE: 2 sticky ones

&nbsp;<BR>RE. your first "sticky one" I think that maybe I&#039;ve just been having the same problem - take a look at this thread and let me know if that helps.....<BR><BR>http://www.aspmessageboard.com/forum/showMessage.asp?F=20&M=150941&P=1<BR><BR><BR>RE: the second "sticky one" - memo fields do cause some problems I know. I seem to remember finding an article on 4 guys but don&#039;t know the URL - sorry! Basically the first time you reference a memo field it subsequently appears empty. Therefore you have to make sure that the first thing you do with your memo field is to put it into a temporary variable and then from there on refer to the temporary variable instead. There are also rules about where in an SQL statement you refer to them, I think they always have to come last after other columns....<BR><BR><BR>hope that helps!<BR>mf

Johnny Hughes Guest

Default RE: 2 sticky ones

As to your first problem, I don&#039;t know why you would want to put any quotes inside your database...but if you want to search for "" and replace it with " use this code:<BR><BR>text=replace(text,CHR(34) & CHR(34),CHR(34))