Zip code proximity

Thread: Zip code proximity

Timothy Narron Guest

Default Zip code proximity

Does anyone have any idea where I can find information on how to use zip codes to determine proximity? I want individuals to be able to enter their zip code that will then be used to set up a search of events within x distance from them. The ultimate goal is to save the zip code in a cookie and show events within a certain distance from them. Is there some magic formula to do this? I am not tremendously picky about precision. I thought of using states but that seems to limit people who live near state borders. I have seen the articles on longitude and latitude but it seems overly complex for my needs.<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR>Timothy Narron

Steve Cimino Guest

Default RE: Zip code proximity

You can make it as complex as you&#039;d like....<BR><BR>My zip code here is 85044.<BR><BR>I would start searching the db for 85044. If nothing found, search for LIKE 8504%, and so on.

Mike Shaffer Guest

Try these:<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Mike Shaffer Guest

Er. but you said latitude and longitude were overly complex, though, eh?<BR><BR>Well, the sad news is that the US Zip Code system has grown so much since inception that there is no accurate &#039;system&#039; to figure out who is close to you, e.g. here in Dallas, my zip if 75248, but across the street it is 75001!<BR><BR>Bordering states won&#039;t work, either. If you want any accuracy at all, you&#039;ll really need to use the latitude/longitude system. :(