MS word doc in database?

Thread: MS word doc in database?

Rob Guest

Default MS word doc in database?

Good morning,<BR><BR>I would like to store an MS Word document into a SQL 2000 database. When I get the MSWord document out of the database <BR>an instance of MSWord should open in IE5 automatically showing the document. A user then should be able to edit this document. <BR><BR>Then I want to store this document in the database under the same ID it was retrieved. How can I do this?<BR><BR>Any suggestions?<BR>Thanks!<BR>Rob

Default RE: MS word doc in database?

Your best bet would be to store the link to the doc in the db and not the doc itself. The browser will open a word doc for viewing. Just my humble opinion.

Linda Pyrc Guest

Default RE: MS word doc in database?

You are better just storing the name of the document in the database and then creating a hyperlink to that file. IE will recognise the extension and automatically open word when the hyplink is clicked.

Rob Guest

Default RE: Thanks

Thanks for the recommendations! I agree with you, but the spec of how the project is to be done required the document in the DB. I will see if I can change the spec to avoid the potential performance problems it may cause.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Rob