Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement

Thread: Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement

SteveC. Guest

Default Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement

The following two code snippets are from two different pages on the same website. The first one works. The second gives me this error: Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement. With the obvious exception of different variables in each, the two seem the SAME to me. But yet one works and the other doesn&#039;t. Can someone explain what I&#039;m doing wrong here?<BR><BR>SNIPPET #1:<BR><BR>ConnectionString=WhatDataBase(Request.Q ueryString("PageName"))<BR>&#039;The WhatDataBase Function returns the correct connection string<BR>&#039; for this page<BR><BR>&#039;COMPILE THE COMMAND<BR><BR>CommandString="Insert into Opinions(ContentID,Comment,SubmittedBy,DateSubmitt ed) values (" & Request.QueryString("item") & ",&#039;" & Request.Form("requiredOpinion") & "&#039;,&#039;" & Request.Form("requiredName") & "&#039;,&#039;" & now & "&#039;)"<BR><BR>&#039;ADD THE NEW RECORD TO THE DBASE<BR>Set objCommand = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")<BR>objCommand .ActiveConnection=ConnectionString<BR>objCommand.C ommandText=CommandString<BR>objCommand.CommandType =adCmdText<BR>objCommand.Execute<BR><BR><BR>SNIPPE T # 2:<BR><BR>CommandString="Insert into Contacts (Name,Address,City,State,Zip,Email,Country,Passwor d,Phone) values (&#039;" & Request.Form("requiredName") & "&#039;,&#039;" & Request.Form("requiredAddress") & "&#039;,&#039;" & Request.Form("requiredCity") & "&#039;,&#039;" & Request.Form("State") & "&#039;,&#039;" & Request.Form("Zip") & "&#039;,&#039;" & Request.Form("requiredEmail") & "&#039;,&#039;" & Request.Form("requiredCountry") & "&#039;,&#039;" & Request.Form("requiredPassword") & "&#039;,&#039;" & Request.Form("Phone") & "&#039;)"<BR><BR>Set objCommand = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")<BR>objCommand .ActiveConnection=UsersDBConnection<BR>objCommand. CommandText=CommandString<BR>objCommand.CommandTyp e=adCmdText<BR>objCommand.Execute<BR><BR><BR><BR>A ny and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Default RE: Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement

try response.write()ing the suspect string to the page before executing it. any problem should then become evident<BR><BR>j

J. Paul Schmidt Guest

Default INSERT vs. INSERT INTO

You didn&#039;t say if you&#039;re using SQL Server or not.<BR><BR>But if you are, then you would want to use INSERT instead of INSERT INTO in your SQL statement. (INSERT INTO works for an Access database but not for SQL Server.)<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>-Paul<BR><BR>J. Paul Schmidt, MBA<BR>Databases on the Web<BR><BR><BR>

Mike Shaffer Guest

Default Huh?

"insert into" doesn&#039;t work on SQL Server? Since when? ;-)<BR><BR>

Mike Shaffer Guest

Is it possible that one of your data values has an embedded apostrophe? I notice that you are not checking for that.

Steve Cimino Guest

Default RE: INSERT vs. INSERT INTO

Yeah, Mike is right. You definately can use INTO in SQL Server (at least for 7 and above). It&#039;s an optional keyword.

Steve Cimino Guest

Perhaps Name is a keyword... enclose it in brackets [Name], Address, etc

Mike Shaffer Guest

I thought so, too, but I tried it and it seemed to work just fine.