Question for the finer variety->Session op

Thread: Question for the finer variety->Session op

Default Question for the finer variety->Session op

Well,<BR><BR>Since my brain shutdown on my code, I thought perhaps I could get an idea to a problem I have been having.<BR><BR>I wrote a message board program, <BR> -it uses frames,javascript,sql server,asp,and a few session vars<BR><BR>I have a client that gets bizarre behavior, its like the session vars don&#039;t always kick in, but will occasionally, it could be something with a particular system, its only 1 of their offices.<BR><BR>I don&#039;t know if they have some packet filtering turned on, cookies must be turned on because it does work occasionally. <BR><BR>Ideas on this?<BR><BR>Blah,blah: SO,<BR><BR>I have been thinking about throwing in a hidden frame<BR>that holds the "Session vars" i need. Will putting these values in a hidden frame really screw up my code <BR>( i think so) Can you extract javascript vars from a hidden frame before the &#060;head&#062; of the document.<BR><BR>*my security checks for the existence of a Session var id, and i would need to get at that id, before the page is really even *built* and in an include file<BR><BR>ideas thoughts, heck i will even take the "You are an idiot for using Session vars" rap, but in an extensive framed message board, its a helluva lot easier than passing data.

Default Nuthin' could be finer than to be in Caroline

I *like* using hidden frames for stuff like this!<BR><BR>It&#039;s certainly easy enough to do. One danger: A user *could* read the hidden info. Does this matter?<BR><BR>Anyway, you can just put:<BR><BR>&#060;SCRIPT&#062;<BR>SessionID = 78182;<BR>&#060;/SCRIPT&#062;<BR><BR>in the hidden need for &#060;HTML&#062;, &#060;HEAD&#062;, &#060;BODY&#062;, or any of that stuff.<BR><BR>Then, in the other frame(s), when they need to send the SessionID along with any other info back to the ASP server, they just copy that value from the hidden frame to a hidden form field:<BR><BR>&#060;FORM ... onSubmit="this.sessionID.value=parent.hiddenFrame. SessionID;return true;"&#062;<BR>&#060;INPUT Type=Hidden Name="sessionID"&#062;<BR>...<BR>&#060;/FORM&#062;<BR><BR>Dirt easy. Really, it&#039;s about the same as using client-side cookies (in concept), except the client doesn&#039;t even have to enable cookies. Well...and your code has to take the responsibility to pass the pseudo-cookie-value to the server.<BR><BR>