new ASP coder

Thread: new ASP coder

Default new ASP coder

I&#039;ve been searching all over to try to find out how to make a link on my page that will download a text file to the user&#039;s PC. I tried just having an HREF link to the text file thinking that the download screen would automatically pop-up but the only thing that happens is that the text file is displayed on the web page. I want the download screen to appear so the user can download it as whatever they want to view later.<BR>I only found one method of doing the download but it requires VBscript level 5 and I only have 4 to work with here. Can you help me at all with this or is it just a lost cause? Thanks in advance for the help.

Joe S. Guest

Default 3 WAYS TO DO IT.

You have a couple of options but none that you are going to like.<BR><BR>1) Zip it up. That will always cause the download screen.<BR><BR>2) Tell your users to right-click on the link and (in IE) choose<BR>"Save Target As.." and (in Netscape)right click the link and choose "Save Link As...".<BR><BR>3) When the user clicks on the link, it will take them to the text file. It will show up in the browser window and th euser can choose "Save As..." from the file menu and save it locally as a text file.