n-tier programming

Thread: n-tier programming

portelli Guest

Default n-tier programming

What is the best way to pass info between layers? Getting things like a connection string from the presentation layer to the data layer? And when passing records, just disconected recordsets or arrays?

Default RE: n-tier programming

For recordsets you should really use arrays, they have NO overhead whatsohowever (except for the small bit of data they require). disconnected recordsets do provide more features, but they put more strain on the network and the connection to the user.<BR><BR>For other things, such as strings, you should propably use byte-arrays instead of strings. Just assign a string to a variable of type &#039;byte&#039; and you&#039;ll have a byte-array. Strings are just sucky variables in Visual Basic because the server has to constantly resize its memory allocation (unless you&#039;re using fixed-size strings, which i doubt, not many people use those). With byte-arrays, you can prevent those problems.<BR><BR>Another idea is to use XML to transport data. However, i&#039;m not much of an XML-expert, so you&#039;ll have to figure that out for yourself.

Sandy Breon Guest

Default RE: n-tier programming

I guess it depends on your particular solution, and I am no expert by far, but I prefer using variant arrays containing form request variable data from an ASP page and passing them upwards to the COM+ data layer, which usually calls a stored proc.<BR><BR>In my presentation layer there is no trace of ADO recordsets. This is by design.<BR><BR>But I guess it would depend if you are doing client-side cursor type of things, like client side sorting that would be very cumbersome to do with arrays on the presentation layer.